Back up Databases #
Posted 03rd October, 2018
Fixed.net can back up up to 10 databases per website. At present, we can backup MySQL, MariaDB and Percona databases.
You will need the following:
- Your database server hostname. You web host can provide this to you, but it is likely to be your domain name or server name. It will not be localhost.
- A database user and password. The database user will need privileges on your database. For a backup we will need at least
SELECT. For a restore we will need at least
- The database name.
- The database port. This is likely to be
Once you have these, database backups can be configured in my.fixed.net as follows:
- Ensure the desired website is added to your dashboard or that you are delegate on the website. Advanced users: note that you can add multiple versions of a website.
- Click the
Backupstab under your website.
- Under Database Backups click
- You will see two IP addresses on the pop up – please allow these remote access to your databases.
- Enter the details above when prompted.
That’s it! Once submitted your Database Backup will go to
Pending status, and shortly after we will back up your database and update this status to
Ok. You will then be able to view the backups we have taken.
Common Errors #
Frequent issues with database connections are listed below.
- IP not allowed. You may need to allow our IP addresses to your web hosting provider’s allow list. There is usually an interface for this in the control panel (see for cPanel or for Plesk). If not you may need to ask your web hosting provider to allow our IPs manually.
- User not added to database or Insufficient Permissions. A database can have multiple users and those users can all have independent database permissions. Try adding the user to the database again and giving them permissions. For backups we only require the
- Hostname not responding Ensure you are entering the correct database server name or IP address.
127.0.0.1are not correct as these are local networking terms; try using your domain name instead.
- Database name incorrect
Changing Credentials Later #
Credentials can be changed at any time. Database backups are not incremental.
Connection Failures #
If we fail to back up your database we will send you an email alert informing you of the connection failure.